The power of primer

24/10/2014
Until I started working on a makeup counter very recently I was always really sceptical of foundation primers. I had the naive view that they were unnecessary and just a beauty company's way of getting us to spend money on more makeup than we actually need. I tended to moisturise and then put foundation directly onto my skin. I had the view that the closer the foundation was to my natural skin the better the result right? Wrong.

I was recently sent a Laura Mercier Foundation Primer in My Little Box and oh my god its amazing. This isn't a brand I would typically use myself and so the fact I got it in a subscription box was a massive bonus and gave me the kick in the right direction that I needed regarding primers and actually adequately preparing my skin before foundation.

I've used it for just under a week now and holy shit. The difference it makes to my foundation is unreal. I pretty much have a compact mirror permanently attached to my hand throughout the day so I can keep an eye on my makeup and quickly fix any mishaps but with primer on my makeup stayed put all day - even when at work (which is quite an accomplishment really especially given that I wear enough makeup to comatose a rhino.)

Just a pea sized amount all over the face after moisturising meant my makeup went on smoother and lasted longer. I didn't have to touch up at all when I had this on which is pretty unheard of for me. Usually I find my concealer doesn't sit well for the entire duration of the day and foundation around my lips can wear away but not with primer on. It stays put without going cakey or wearing away. Result.

This particular primer is white and quite creamy in consistency. I haven't needed to use much to get the desired amount of coverage which is always good. If you've been a primer sceptic like me definitely give one a go. It's still relatively early days for me and so far I've only used this one brand but I'm definitely looking to try a few other brands and possibly a tinted primer - bareMinerals BB primer anyone? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment