7 things you learn while being a student

20/11/2014

I have had a nightmare 2 weeks at uni. Deadlines coming out my ears with various misspelled assignment briefs has left relatively straightforward assignments 100 times harder. When I sit and think about what I've actually learned this year, I feel I've learned more in terms of ''how to survive uni'' than anything particularly marketing related. Which is great given the amount of debt I'm getting in to study marketing. Awesome. Below are the 7 things I've learned:

1) It doesn't matter how much notice you're given on an assignment deadline, you will leave it till the last minute and have numerous nervous breakdowns 48 hours before it's due in. You will then vow to never leave it that late again before starting - but of course, you never really learn. Procrastination is rife and watching Harry Potter start to finish is vastly more important than starting your 3,500 word report.

2) The importance of Coffee/energy drinks/your energy boost of choice. Largely tied in with the point above, without coffee I would never have the energy or willpower to stay up till 2am the day before a deadline finishing off an assignment. In fact before coming to uni I never even drank coffee. I owe at least 50% of my degree to coffee. God bless you.

3) Coming to uni and going to lectures essentially means you're paying 9 grand a year to watch someone talk over a Powerpoint presentation. That's pretty much it. (I hope for the love of god none of my lecturers ever stumble across this I can't see it going down well) But yeah. A bit depressing when you think of the utter ball ache assignments are in comparison to the role they actually play in it,

4) There is nothing more soul destroying than group work. It makes you question whether or not you're a sociopath due to your pure hatred for having to interact with other human beings to get a piece of work done. More often than not it's left till the last minute which results in mad panic meetings the day before the deadline. I see a trend appearing...

5) With looming deadlines, daily lectures and other social commitments sleep soon becomes a luxury rather than a god given right. I, for the past 2 weeks have realised how much I in fact take sleep for granted. There's a common misconception that all students do is nap all day. I'd like to know who these students are and what they're studying.

6) The library, the place you scoffed at during your first year is now your second home. The only place that is dull enough to make doing assignments the more appealing option. Before deadlines I've calculated I've actually spent more time in the library than in my own house - unbelievably depressing.

7) Declaring yourself poverty stricken 3 weeks after your student loan has been and gone. Doesn't matter how much or how little you're entitled to, it just never stretches far enough. The gap from September to January is a never ending cycle of eating whatever discounted, inedible food Tesco have on offer/weird concoctions you can create with what's left in the fridge. How are we expected to pay rent and go out 4 times a week with this?


So any sixth formers reading this wondering whether to go to uni or not - do it. It's SO worth it..


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment