Bring back the sisterhood

06/11/2014
People can be very unkind to each other. For 80% of my childhood I was picked on for one thing or another ''your ears stick out'' ''your eyes are too far apart''  etc etc. Until the age of 18 I rarely wore my hair up due to the insecurities in bedded in me due to bullies picking on me for my ears.

Today I caught sight of myself in a shop window while wearing my hair up and noticed my ears. But rather than thinking ''bugger me jug ears'' I realised how far I'd come in relation to letting go of being paranoid about something so trivial and wearing my hair up regardless of the taunts I once suffered. I then thought you know what? I wanna share this.

Being obsessed with makeup is one thing but true self acceptance - staring your flaws in the face and being ok with them is the first step towards self love. (With the exception of Adam Levine) nobody's perfect. Everyone regardless of how poised they appear on the outside have parts of themselves they aren't crazy about - and that's life. Imperfections are what make us unique. But learning to love yourself regardless of these and accepting yourself for who you are is the first step towards self acceptance - and believe me one you accept yourself for you all you'll want to do is compliment everyone and make them feel good too. A compliment can totally make someone's day and may even help them to see themselves in a better light. Self confidence is life changing.

We as women have the worst reputation for backstabbing each other ''it's all that oestrogen'' - possibly the worst and most offensive stereotype ever. Rather than spending time knocking each other's bodies, life choices, clothes etc we should be encouraging each other to be the best we can be. We have enough trouble juggling work, uni deadlines, rent and all the other crap we have to deal with without added female fuelled drama. Just because we all have ovaries doesn't mean it's ok to be total bitches to one another. Let's rise above it girls.

The idea of a sisterhood, a society within society whereby women empower each other as opposed to wanting to claw each other's eyes out is the dream. The sooner we accept ourselves and stop projecting negative energy on each other the sooner we'll be rid of the awful stereotype that ''women are all bitches''. More often than not nastiness and bullying is a defence mechanism - so I say we nip this in the bud and just accept ourselves warts and all.

And if Mean Girls taught me one thing it's ''Calling somebody else fat won't make you any skinnier. Calling someone stupid doesn't make you any smarter. And ruining Regina George's life definitely didn't make me any happier. All you can do in life is try to solve the problem in front of you.''

That and it's totally acceptable to go out in your underwear on Halloween. 

1 comment: