7 mysteries of the beauty universe

27/09/2014
As great as makeup and cosmetics are there are a few unanswered questions you probably ponder every day. Why does my eyeliner never match? Why do I always run of conditioner before shampoo? Illuminati.  In this post I'm going to try and shed some light on some possible causes..

1)Where the hell do hair ties and grips go? Buying a pack of 60 means you'll be able to tie or pin your hair up at leisure for 3 weeks maximum - before they've all seemingly disappeared. Where do they go? Do they disintegrate after one use? Is my boyfriend stealing them? It's some kind of conspiracy to try get us to buy more I'm convinced. Even aiming to keep them in the same place doesn't help they still grow legs and go missing. Very odd. It's not even like they're really that expensive to replace but it's a real pain in the arse having to hunt around for hair stuff knowing you only bought them a week ago. 

2)Now I realise scientists definitely have bigger fish to fry and more important issues to tackle but why hasn't anyone invented a semi-permanent fake tan? Having to re-do it every week can be quite time consuming. Inventing some kind of semi-permanent product that lasts a month instead of a week would be a cosmetics miracle as far as I'm concerned. Plus I'm sure if there was a more semi-permanent solution more people would opt for the bottle instead of the sunbed, in turn reducing skin cancer numbers etc. Definite lifesaver

3)This one won't be applicable to those who don't wear false eyelashes but I'll throw it in anyway. I always seem to notice one end of an eyelash becoming unglued/loose when I'm in a situation where there's nothing I can do about it. Bugger. This never seems to happen when I've got time and equipment on my side to render the situation but always just before a date/interview/important meeting. This is an example of when cosmetics definitely isn't on my side. It's the best confidence boost ever when you're already shitting yourself for a job interview to then have the added worry of your eyelashes leaping off your face and landing on the table like a centipede. 

4)I say this 400 times a day but I really do love perfume. In the past 3 days alone I've bought 3 new bottles. But have you ever smelt someone else's perfume which smells gorgeous, gone to buy it yourself and it smells disgusting? Yep. Thierry Mugler Angel seems to smell amazing on everyone else but the second I apply it to my skin it smells like I've aged 50 years and had a fight with a cheap air freshener can. Yuck, I got a large bottle for Christmas 2 years ago and it still remains untouched.Obviously the whole thing about perfumery is about creating unique scents for different people and their skin chemistry etc etc I get that. But the difference in smell can be so vast between two people it always leaves me puzzled and a bit gutted my skin chemistry rejects ones that smell so good on others.

5)Shampoo and conditioner are definitely considered a necessity in this day and age and part of every person's beauty/hygiene routine (or I should hope so anyway) so I don't feel indulgent mentioning it. But why do we never run out of them at the same time? There's always some shampoo left when I chuck the matching conditioner bottle out. It seems obvious. ''It's because we typically use more conditioner per shower than shampoo'' but that isn't always true. On occasions where money has been tight I've tried to balance out how much I use and I still need to buy new conditioner before shampoo. This is not a coincidence there is a higher power at work here. Definitely not a coincidence. Nope. 

6)On the subject of hair - after a haircut why can we never get the style to look as good as when the hairstylist did it? Obviously hairstylists are professional and know what they're doing more so than me but after a new haircut I can never get it to look as good as the first styling before I walk out the salon. Even using the same products as the professional doesn't seem to help and I spend ages trying to emulate what they've done to no avail. One day I hope to earn enough to warrant having an on-call hair stylist but until then I'll just struggle on and deal with regular bad hair days. 

7)Saved the best 'til last. The biggest mystery of all. Eyeliner. There is a quote that goes something like ''never ask a girl with winged eyeliner why she's late'' and it's true. When applying eyeliner one eye always seems to go perfectly and how you want the other to look but despite using the exact same method the second eye never ever looks the same. This is a very lengthy process. Using the same products, application and doing them 2 minutes apart doesn't make a difference they still won't match. If anyone has found a solution to this royal pain in the arse I'd be truly grateful.


No comments:

Post a Comment