The importance of cosmetics

21/09/2014
There's often a 'vanity obsessed' connotation associated with talking about a passion for makeup. People making the assumption that anyone that cares that much about what they look like must be superficial, often considered unintelligent and ''scared to break a nail!'' I can't even tell you how often people have assumed I'm stupid because of the way I look. But do I change how much makeup I wear? Not a chance.

Cosmetics is more than just putting some products on your face. Cosmetics is about enhancing what you've got and putting your best face forward. It's about adding confidence and perhaps disguising parts of your face you aren't crazy about. This shouldn't be seen as a negative thing. A bit of mascara or a face full of makeup can make the world of difference to a woman's confidence and allow them to face the day feeling good about themselves. It's about self expression and given that we are lucky enough to live in a society where women can make their own choices about the way they look I say embrace it.

 On occasion I've overheard people describe how much makeup a girl wears as ''false advertising'' and that they wouldn't pursue her because of it. That just makes me question their own superficiality if anything. Beneath the makeup is still a real person. Loads of makeup doesn't automatically equal a rubbish personality. If anything it's these judgemental people that give makeup and cosmetics a bad name. Just because someone chooses to wake up an hour earlier so they can leave the house feeling good about themselves is their own damn choice. Not everyone is comfortable with ''embracing their natural beauty'' and that should be down to their own discretion to decide. For every person that tells me I wear too much makeup I reapply lipgloss an extra time that day. Society wouldn't publicly bash women who don't wear makeup so why should it be acceptable to bash those that do?

There's always the ever present argument about how much money is an acceptable amount to spend on cosmetics. I recently visited The Mona Lisa in Paris and have never been so disappointed in my life. That painting is worth approximately 1.5 billion dollars (according to Wiki) and is so underwhelming. People will pay unbelievable amounts of money for art/cars/fashion so why should spending money on cosmetics be frowned upon? Surely how women spend their own disposable income is their own choice? And I personally believe if Mona Lisa was painted today Da Vinci would definitely have whacked some false eyelashes on her I'm just saying...


Feeling pride in one's appearance is not a crime and if applying makeup makes you feel better about yourself go right ahead. I always get satisfaction out of surpassing people's expectations they've made based on how much makeup I've got on. Society shouldn't be so quick to dismiss a face full of makeup as vanity. It is so much more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment